Principles of website design for an appealing website
It is necessary for companies to have a website which is appealing and useful for their customers/visitor. There are a number of web page design principles that are absolutely crucial if you plan on achieving a web site that works.
2. Content and Ease of Use!!!!! Content is king. It is the information available on your website that attracts the visitors. They want question on their answers, solve their problems and they don’t want to spend a lot of time on a website to achieve their goals. Website visitors should be able to find what they need as quickly as possible and do what they intended to do. If the website is lacking proper ease of use it will make it difficult for people to find what they are looking and they will soon enough leave.
According to Forrester Research, what users are seeking in a website are High Quality Content, Easy to use, quick to download, Frequent site update.
- Focus on content before graphics
Use of graphics is attractive, but the visitors are on your website for the
information available on the website.
- Decide on 1 writing style & stick to it
Find here more information on web copywriting
- Make the site easy to navigate with consistent navigation- Choose for intuitive design
- Make your site accessible
- Reasonable site download time,
- Easy to read text (dark text color and light background or vice versa) with
right size font size.
- Mobile friendly
- Disability friendly
- Page Layout and Consistency
If the design of your web pages is consistent throughout the website, you will meet visitors’ expectations. Visitors are relying on their intuition when browsing. This is why employing a Conventional page layout, consistent through your site, will be the best choice to make.
- Logo on the top left side in the Header, with tagline linked to home page
- Search box on the top right side
-Main Navigation on Top Horizontal is preferred; Sub-navigations to the left, Secondary navigation at bottom in footer with links to privacy, sitemap, about etc, Bread crump navigation below the main Horizontal Main Navigation to show the clickable travelled pad.
-Be consistent throughout your website to meet visitors’ expectations.
- Graphic Design
- Do not exaggerate with images and keep the files small for short loading time. Less is more.
- Fonts – Use common fonts consistently through the site and choose 1 main fonts for the content
- Colors – Think of the contrasts when using colors. It should not be annoying for the eyes. I have seen many companies using the colors of their logo. Colors should fit site’s mood, tone and intention. Learn the art of color psychology!
-White space –Avoid information overload (noise) and increases readability
- Aesthetics –The overall appearance of the site should look balanced and pleasing. Colors and fonts need to be harmonized with the theme of the site and not be centers of attention themselves. Page backgrounds need to act as the frame for the text and graphics without overpowering the pages.
Visitors are impatient and the longer your website takes to load the more visitors you will lose. It should not take more than 1-2 seconds to load. Too much graphics and poorly optimized images will slow down the loading time.
Content should be easy to scan so the visitor can find the information a.s.a.p. and keep your content short. A long story with poor structure is not scannable.
4. Clear and Consistent Navigation
- Clear and consistent navigation is strongly supported by placing important navigation elements in ‘standard navigational’ areas on the web page design.
- Use simple text in your Navigation to make the Navigation clear and intuitive
- If the visitors get stock, they should be able to know where they are. To guide them, provide Bread Crumb Navigation.
- Sitemap and Search options allows visitor to find quickly the information they want
Do you want your visitor to spend more time on your website, visit your website again and build brand affinity? Then this is what you can do:
- Call for action on your web pages to contact the contact person in company
-Offer visitors to subscribe for your newsletters
-Put feeds to follow you on twitter or any other social media community
Do you have any other advice for an appealing website? Please share.